On March 2, 2014 the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted the Resolution “On the Appeal of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to the Parliaments of the States - Guarantors of the Security of Ukraine and to International Organizations”.
1. To approve the Appeal of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to the Parliaments of the States -Guarantors of the Security of Ukraine and to International Organizations (enclosed).
2. That the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine send the text of the Appeal of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to the Parliaments of the States –Guarantors of the Security of Ukraine and to International Organizations.
3. This Resolution goes into effect immediately after its publication.
Rada of Ukraine to the Parliaments of the States – Guarantors of the Security of Ukraine and to International Organizations
“On March 1, 2014 the Federation Council (upper Chamber) of the Federal Assembly of Russia adopted a decision, enabling the use of the armed forces of Russia in the territory of Ukraine. Earlier the Russian troops entered the territory of Ukraine in the Crimea under an invented pretext of protection of the Russian-speaking population.
These actions of the Russian Federation, Permanent member of UNSC who is tied with Ukraine by the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Partnership, are inadmissible.
The actions of Russia are a blatant violation of all fundamental principles of international relations and undermine the foundations of security on European continent.
The Verkhovna Rada stresses that Ukraine was the first and the only country in the world that voluntarily and on its own initiative abandoned nuclear weapons and eliminated all its stockpiles under international control.
The condition for such unprecedented step were security assurances contained in the Budapest Memorandum of 1994 from Russia, United Kingdom, USA, subsequently joined by France and China.
The Russian Federation is obliged to refrain from the threat or use of force against territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine and also to respect Independence and Sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine as one of guarantor states.
In connection with military actions of the Russian Federation against Ukraine, Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine appeals to the parliaments of the participating States of Budapest Memorandum and international organizations:
- to send special monitoring missions with the inspection of real situation in Ukraine;
- to address their own governments to render assistance in protecting of nuclear facilities of Ukraine;
Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine invites UN, OSCE, Council of Europe, the European Union, NATO, CIS and other interested international structures to organize meetings of their authorities in Ukraine.
Verkhovna Rada initiates the establishment of a group on the negotiations with the Russian Federation regarding the normalization of relations with the Russian Federation and de-escalation of the situation in Ukraine.
We are appealing to demonstrate solidarity with the Ukrainian people and to protect sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine. Connivance of military actions against Ukraine will have irrecoverable consequences for the world order.
The respective draft resolution was registered under No. 4334.